The product, ABC Dophilus Powder, was found to contain the fungus rhizopus oryzae, which is linked to the infection mucormycosis. The federal Centers for Disease Control tested the powder after the October death of a preterm infant who had been given ABC Dophilus in a hospital. The baby, who had been born at 29 weeks, suffered from multiple complications, including intestinal mucormycosis, according to Solgar.
Andrea Staub, a spokeswoman for Solgar, said that the company and the Food and Drug Administration are still investigating whether there was any connection between the product and the baby's death. She declined to give the name or location of the hospital where the death occurred.
The company initiated the recall "out of an abundance of caution," Staub said.
She said the recall involves fewer than 2,000 bottles, which were made by a subcontractor she declined to identify.
Rhizopus oryzae is found in soil and can cause mucormycosis, especially in people with diabetes, cancer, skin trauma or compromised immune systems. Otherwise healthy people can also catch the infection, though rarely, according to the FDA.
ABC Dophilus Powder is a supplement for infants and children containing "friendly" bacteria to aid in digestive health.