Monday, April 07, 2008

Two Monitors Are Better Than One

At the recently completed GTLA Tech Seminar, my friends Landon Harlan and Dave Swanner were preaching the vitures of dual monitors. Why?

Studies show dual monitors increase productivity. "Survey after survey shows that whether you measure your productivity in facts researched, alien spaceships vaporized, or articles written, adding an extra monitor will give your output a considerable boost — 20 percent to 30 percent, according to a survey by Jon Peddie Research." Source.

Setup for me was easier, since I am the guinea pig in the office for this experiment. Rather than open up the PC, I bought a USB-based cable called external video adapter:



The external version is more expensive; changin out the internal video card is about $29 per PC. After five minutes I was ready to go.

What do you see? This image shows what it is like:



I'm able to keep open my office database on one monitor, and work on the other. Already I am seeing a difference in output.