Monday, June 11, 2007

Criminal Law: A Taser's A "Calming" Device?

I don't usually write about matters relating to criminal law, but when I heard this today I had to shake my head and wonder, "what the ... ??? "

"Nuggets reserve forward DerMarr Johnson was charged with resisting arrest and interfering with police during a disturbance outside a nightclub. Police said they used a Taser on him to calm him." Source here.

A Taser fires small dart-like electrodes with attached metal wires that connect to the gun, propelled by small gas charges. A Taser 's burst of voltage is often 50,000 volts.

When I hear or use the word calm, it's usually in the context that conjures up images of a quiet beach, or the stillness of the moments before sunrise. It's NOT the word I'd use to describe what happens here: