All consumers seeking caffeinated products should be aware of the potentially high potency of these powdered pure caffeine products. Parents should recognize that teenagers and young adults may be drawn to these products for their perceived benefits.
The death of an Ohio teen after eating caffeine powder prompted the FDA warning. An autopsy of 18-year-old Logan Stiner of LaGrange, OH, detected more than 70 micrograms of caffeine per milliliter in his blood. It is 23 times higher than the amount found in a typical coffee or soda drink.