170 people say they fell ill after eating Chobani infected with mold, said Shelly Burgess, a spokesperson for the agency. Cramps, nausea, headache and diarrhea were some of the top symptoms reported, she said. Illnesses have been reported in Arizona, Delaware, New York, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, California, Indiana and Florida.
Chobani issued a voluntary recall of the yogurt on Sept. 5 after some customers reported nausea and vomiting. All affected yogurt has been long pulled from store shelves, the company says, though the FDA is investigating reports that contaminated yogurt is still for sale, according to OregonLive.com.
At the time of the initial recall, the company described affected containers of Chobani as swollen and bloated, with the yogurt within appearing runny. It's because of "a type of mold commonly found in the dairy environment," Chobani told Food Navigator, an industry publication.