Nine Alabama hospital patients who were treated with contaminated intravenous feeding bags have died and the maker has pulled the product off the market.
Ten more people treated with the bags that provide nutrients through IV tubes also were sickened by the outbreak of serratia marcescens bacteria, health officials said.
A single pharmacy, Birmingham-based Meds IV, made the bags. Williamson said the company has notified its customers of the contamination and discontinued production.
When Select Specialty Hospital in Birmingham learned one of its suppliers may have distributed bags containing the bacteria, it started investigating and stopped using the Meds IV product, said the hospital's chief executive officer.