Tuesday, June 05, 2007

20 Sure-Fire Ways to Come up with Great Ideas

Reading the nonbillable hour, there's a link to "20 Sure-Fire Ways to Come up with Great Ideas" which can be found here.

Several of the items make sense. One of the ideas (to me) is not a good one to practice:

"1. Carry a notebook.

Have a little notebook that you carry around with you wherever you go, including to bed. I like Moleskine notebooks, but any pocket-sized one will do. When you get an idea, write it down — right away. Even if you have to stop the car in order to do so. Ideas are fleeting, and you must write them down before they’re gone again. "


There is one, however, that I cringe when I read anywhere or have told to me:

"5. Exercise.

Running, for example, is a great way to come up with ideas. First of all, exercise gets your blood circulating, which seems to stimulate your mind. Second, you’ve got some quiet time to think. And finally, the peaceful scenes of nature that you pass when you’re running seem to inspire great ideas. Any kind of exercise will do, though."

To me this is always a bad idea. Running (my exercise of choice) is the time to get away from thinking. Yes you read that right. For me (and certainly for others) the day is jammed with pressure, meetings, calls - work. I leave all of that behind for the sometimes too short times when I run. I turn the music on loud and forget - forget bills, calls, tirades, bad news, good news, people.

The ad which has caught my eye recently is the one for Propel water, referred to as the Propel Stress Monster (the one where the "boss" meets his demise during the ad:




Other than that, the list is a good place to start.