Thursday, November 10, 2005

Where have you met a client?

I ask many attorneys that question and expect an answer that will include someplace other than an office or home. I spend my time working for injured people only.

Last evening I met a person who works the night shift in a small guard shack in rural West Georgia. He does not have very dependable wheels and would not drive seventy miles to meet with me. So there I was: Sitting on a milk crate, in a guard shack not quite as large as an outhouse on a windy clear night. After 30 minutes and a few cigarettes being smoked by the other person, I was able to leave knowing we could help him. He kept saying that his coworkers would not believe that an attorney would take to time to sit where we sat. (At 9:00 p.m.)

Other places? I have sat on the hood of a car in a not so great part of town to talk business with a potential client.

I have had more than one cup of coffee at a Waffle House with a potential client.

I've met a potential client at a truck stop, an airport, a gas station, a Steak and Shake. I have been to houses where the people were so poor, the windows were covered with clear plastic, no glass.

Meeting these folks where they live and work hasn't been a problem. In fact, it's been humbling. One meeting involved me coming to a home whereupon more than a dozen neighbors came walking in, sat and listened.

If you haven't had the chance to do so, consider it. It may open your eyes to how folks we work for live.